Emerald Hill Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D Realms Closes its doors

4 posters

Go down

3D Realms Closes its doors Empty 3D Realms Closes its doors

Post  VanMerde Thu May 07, 2009 5:36 pm

According to recent reports around the web today, long standing developer 3D Realms, has recently closed its doors for good with money problems being cited as the reason.

The Texas based studio had been hard at work on Duke Nukem Forever since 1997 whose future now hangs in the balance. Early rumours on the studio closure stated that it was down to Take Two pulling their funding for the title, however Shacknews earlier reported that Take Two VP of communcations Alan Lewis stated that the "relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title." Furthermore Lewis stated that "Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever."

Confirming initial reports this morning was 3D Realms Webmaster, Joe Siegler, who posted on the official forums stating that "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

With 3D Realms owning the intellectual property rights for Duke Nukem Forever and Take Two owning the publishing rights, it's hard to see the title ever being picked up. The end of 3D Realms could also see the end of the Prey series that was greatly received back in 2006 unless someone feels adventurous enough to pick that up too.

A sad day for the games industry in which one of the old skool major players wanes into non-existance.
from Xbox360Achievments.org

well looks like there will be no DFF or new prey, SADFACE Sad
VanMerde
VanMerde
Admin

https://emeraldhillzone.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

3D Realms Closes its doors Empty Re: 3D Realms Closes its doors

Post  ☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆   Thu May 07, 2009 6:41 pm

sucks
☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆  
☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆  
Off Topic Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Twelfth Crusader Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 pm

I hope someone picks up Duke Nuken and Prey...
The Twelfth Crusader
The Twelfth Crusader
Super-Jew
Super-Jew

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post  death_by_stereo Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

I hate to say it, but I don't think this really changes anything Duke-wise. They have been promising Duke Nukem Forever for so long that the title now seems ironic. Even if 3D Realms was still active, I wouldn't hold my breath for that game. I do, however, think it's really sad to see the company that brought us Duke Nukem 3D (one of my all-time favorites games) go out of business. I still clock up more play time on that game than I do most games that have been released since.
death_by_stereo
death_by_stereo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum