Emerald Hill Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original gameplay?

3 posters

Go down

Original gameplay? Empty Original gameplay?

Post  The Twelfth Crusader Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Metal Gear. These are a few of the many games that really were mind blowing at the time. Each and every one of them added something incredibly original to gaming. SotC showed that gaming could be art and used a very simple concept to make something incredible. Okami also comes under the art category with one of the most original art styles you will ever see and gameplay that matched this. Resident Evil 4 invented the over the shoulder camera that so many games are using now. Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda and showed how to make an adventure game with a great world, great combat and a great mix of RPG elements. Super Mario 64 is the most iconic 3D plat former of all time and basically perfected the formula that is being used today. Metal Gear invented the stealth genre even with the limitations of the MSX.

My question is now, why aren't games this gen doing anything as mindblowingly original as this? I consider Bioshock to be original but in terms of gameplay it doesn't offer anything new to the FPS genre, does it? What games have been original this gen in terms of gameplt? Mirror's Edge and Flower. Even then they haven't done what the other games mentioned did for gaming.
The Twelfth Crusader
The Twelfth Crusader
Super-Jew
Super-Jew

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Original gameplay? Empty Re: Original gameplay?

Post  ☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆   Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Fable 2 totally changed the way i look at rpg's. I used to be into my linear rpgs but fable 2 turns out the way you want. The whole world changes around you with every decision and even changes you wont notice and decisions you never took a second think at decides your whole game experience. Although this has been done before it has never been as successful as this.

As for the lack of new originals it comes down to the fact that as more new ideas are put into practice , it means there is less possibility's and therefor becomes more difficult to come up with new concepts.

It look s like new methods of gaming such as VR and motion sensor games seams to be the next big changes to games we will see.
☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆  
☆ỴΛsНΣИ☆  
Off Topic Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Twelfth Crusader Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:27 pm

I thought Fable 2 was pretty linear and generally the map was just a long road that you would follow to complete your mission. There may have been different missions due to your choices but every mission was performed in a really linear way. I think Fallout 3 is a much better example of this. The world is actually open and though it lacks the charm of Fable the world can change on a much larger scale.
The Twelfth Crusader
The Twelfth Crusader
Super-Jew
Super-Jew

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post  death_by_stereo Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 pm

It seems that each generation only gets one or two of these groundbreaking games, and the everything that follows tries to latch onto these ideas. Maybe it's just a case of this gen not hitting that right note yet. The next groundbreaker could be just around the corner.
death_by_stereo
death_by_stereo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum